Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my spark plugs, thats ALL i did, changed my spark plugs... the car was idling like crap after, so I put the old ones back in, since they werent really burnt out or anything... and it STILL idles like crap and drives even WORSE... I can smell gas and the car is goin glug glug glug glug and shaking violenty... WHAT DO I DOOOOOOO

someones telling me to make sure the plugs are on straight so thats what Im gonna go try, hopefully thats all it is.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
U gap em correctly? all the plugs on tight?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
If not the plugs, check your spark plug wires. First the connections and firing order. If not, then the check the wires themselves.

·
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put the old ones back on so they are gapped correctly. I made sure all the wires were on straight and I didnt even take them off the pack so the firing order shouldnt be off...

·
Registered
139 Posts
sounds like a misfire. make sure like OG said that all the wire to plug connections are true and that you have the right plugs. i would go to the dealership and get the motorcraft ones just because they are ford plugs. my car did what yours was doing and i got a CEL i thought i blew a valve but it ended being a bad wire on the 4th cylinder. hope this helps.

·
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe its a bad wire, because all the plugs are on straight and Im using the factory motorcraft plugs. Its definetly a misfire because I can smell raw gas everytime I touch the gas pedal. Im getting it flatbedded to the nearest ford dealer ASAP i guess... still under warranty so hopefully it will be a quick little 5 minute fix over there

·
That one was just me not paying attention....and s
7,509 Posts
i would say you probably damaged one of the wires when you were pulling them off...one way to check: start your car, pull the first plug wire off and see if it changes anything...then plug it back in...do this for all of the plug wires untill you find the bad one...I have used this to find bad plugs and bad wires...its not gonna hurt anything for just the second that they will be unplugged.

·
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well I was hoping it was also just a damaged wire... but I just put my stock ones back on and it didnt change a thing. I had the ford racing plug wires on there, thought i may have damaged one, just put the stock ones back on and nothing. gah. Im at a loss. Sad part is, I work at autozone, a customer came in saying the same things that Im telling you all now and I suggested all these things u guys are tellin me.... and it worked, lol. dAMNIT

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Put in the new plugs at .053 gap.

Use die-electric grease on the plug wires.

Make sure the plug wire is sitting on the plug perfectly straight and completely down(sometimes they get a little caught and refuse to go down all the way).

Triple check the order.

Try it twice and report back.

- Drew

·
Registered
139 Posts
it could be a problem with the coil try to have that replaced. you might of also gotten some water in there when you changed out the plugs. also did you put the wires in the right place on the coil?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I once changed out a set of spark plugs along with a distributor cap and rotor (yes on a 1998 Honda CR-V),went to start it and it didn't. After checking out the plugs,wires,cap and rotor, it turned out to be my coil.What a coincidence that the coil went out at THAT time.

·
Registered
326 Posts
have some one turn the car over while you use a screwdriver to arch the spark from the wire......you can then tell if its the coil or a single wire...just make sure your not touching the metal....I did and it didnt feel good :p

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
have some one turn the car over while you use a screwdriver to arch the spark from the wire......you can then tell if its the coil or a single wire...just make sure your not touching the metal....I did and it didnt feel good :p
when i was testing the spark on my car.. i held the RUBBER boot .. while the spark plug was in it to see if it sparked.. and it shocked me .. just like a tingle.. nothing big.. was wierd.. i was touching RUBBER

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
when i was testing the spark on my car.. i held the RUBBER boot .. while the spark plug was in it to see if it sparked.. and it shocked me .. just like a tingle.. nothing big.. was wierd.. i was touching RUBBER
theres a cool little device you can buy for a few dollars. It attatches where the spark plug would be and has a thumbscrew to adjust the gap. A butterfly clip attaches to eingine ground and then you can crank the car and watch for spark without getting shocked.

seriously, the ingnition coil puts out more than enough power to stop your heart. be carefull out there.

·
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eh, Its not the wires or the plugs, Im taking it to Ford tomorrow and having my friend there fix it under warrenty. Flat-bed will be here at 7 in the morning, Ill take pics of it on the truck, as its the closest it will ever get to being trailored, lol

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Sounds like what happened to my buddies focus he had one of the wires for the coil connector brak off at the connector itself.

·
Not A Texan!
420 Posts
What gets me is the fact that you work at Autozone, and don't think to check your coil. You DO know that there is a pretty easy way to check your coil packs don't you? Look for the Wells testing manual, find the part number on the computer, then find the part number in the manual, and test it using the chart and a multimeter on the ohm setting. BUT you're probably already at Ford getting this looked at.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts