Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so zetec powered focus, attempting to tune with SCT Pro Race Package and using the chip and not a hand held. The car currently only runs on two cylinders and wont communicate with any diagnostic tools or an Xcal3. What the hell did i do? lol, I don't think I fried the ECU do to the fact that it still runs on a few cylinders. I'm thinking during tuning and switching between tunes that something got corrupted and it when into limp mode. Can I take it to a dealership and have them re-flash it to stock? Any other options? :bang:

·
Registered
497 Posts
When my ecu froze while flashing, I had to send it to SCT and they loaded a stock tune on it. While I was waiting I got another ecu from a part out and had a dealership program my keys to that ecu

·
Bacne..
2,690 Posts
IIRC, all the stock information is retained in the ECU, the tune is on the removable chip. Which is to say if you pull the chip the car should be stock.
Shoot Mike a PM to verify this first.

Also, compare your last few tunes and see if you changed something that you shouldn't have. Something like PIP or something else trigger related.

But could be just coincidence and the coil took a ****. Swap a known good in in and check.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The above post is correct. If you are using a chip and remove it, the car is now stock. Keep in mind though to never remove the chip while the car is running or the key is on. That can fry the ecu.

With chips you also have to be sure the contacts on the J3 port are nice and clean.

To answer one of your questions, if the chip is installed you will be unable to datalog through the OBDII port. Most likely you will not be able to read strategy either.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When my ecu froze while flashing, I had to send it to SCT and they loaded a stock tune on it. While I was waiting I got another ecu from a part out and had a dealership program my keys to that ecu
IIRC, all the stock information is retained in the ECU, the tune is on the removable chip. Which is to say if you pull the chip the car should be stock.
Shoot Mike a PM to verify this first.

Also, compare your last few tunes and see if you changed something that you shouldn't have. Something like PIP or something else trigger related.

But could be just coincidence and the coil took a ****. Swap a known good in in and check.
The above post is correct. If you are using a chip and remove it, the car is now stock. Keep in mind though to never remove the chip while the car is running or the key is on. That can fry the ecu.

With chips you also have to be sure the contacts on the J3 port are nice and clean.

To answer one of your questions, if the chip is installed you will be unable to datalog through the OBDII port. Most likely you will not be able to read strategy either.
Ok, few things. The car runs the same with two different tunes and without a chip in it at all. Chip/no chip, an OBD II scan tool cant connect with the ecu. Also, one of the tunes ran the car before in fall with no issues but i had to send the chip back to SCT do to the chip being bad and not allowing me to burn a slot more than once. I never removed the chip with the car running nor with the key on and the J3 port is clean.

So, it could be a coil but the last time I had a coil die on me it wouldn't run nor start. And that doesn't explain why the scan tool can't communicate with the ECU. Is it possible that something in the ecu got changed and flashing it back to stock would get me back to were I need to be?

Also, you can datalog though the OBDII port with a chip. I know because I did. :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts