Ford Focus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Did you read the article? Has nothing to do with balancing. Well, so the first 2 paragraphs state before I lost interest.

How come this is a case-by-case basis I believe?
When they started talking about Chevy 400 engines... I knew right then and there that it was not pertinent to us.

Yes... very much case by case.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
While I see the point, I see a misnomer in the thread title.
If Anything is to be lost, it'd be crankshaft lifespan, not power.
I'm not so sure there is much in the way of Dampner in the Stock pulley.
What we REALLY need to see whether this article applies to "us", is info on how much dampning comes from where on the Zetec.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Glad to see you zetec boys handled this correctly already! I've done the same over in the PZEV forum.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Guys, he's got a POINT, UNLESS someone can provide info on how the Zetec's Crank is DAMPENED.
Balancing aside, and the obvious Misnomer regarding Horsepower excluded, the issue of the effect of Vibration on Crank Lifespan is Valid.
How Great the effect is probably depends on Many factors, Dampners included.
Until someone can provide info on HOW our cranks are DAMPENED, I'm NOT throwing his assertion in the Trash, even regarding our engines.
Give me DATA/INFO to Truly discount the issue of Crank Fatigue, and we can ALL throw it in the Trash.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Guys, he's got a POINT, UNLESS someone can provide info on how the Zetec's Crank is DAMPENED.
Balancing aside, and the obvious Misnomer regarding Horsepower excluded, the issue of the effect of Vibration on Crank Lifespan is Valid.
How Great the effect is probably depends on Many factors, Dampners included.
Until someone can provide info on HOW our cranks are DAMPENED, I'm NOT throwing his assertion in the Trash, even regarding our engines.
Give me DATA/INFO to Truly discount the issue of Crank Fatigue, and we can ALL throw it in the Trash.
I'll letcha know in another 100K miles!

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
all i know is when i put the udp on, the car got faster!
and havent had any other problems...........
That's Great, and this may well NOT apply to us.
I KNOW the effects of a UDP, I use the AF/X, and LOVE it.
I don't know about the 100K thing...
That's too far to forecast for me.
I guess the point of the original post is to present the POTENTIALITY for Crank Fatigue, (I hope, because Loss of HP is Absurd), so I'd LOVE more info on just how our Cranks are dampened.
I'm SURE several/many 'Jetters KNOW, but I don't, and I'd like to have that verified before I throw this notion away as rubbish.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok lets talk about this in depth. Bear with me.. So a lighter flywheel make the car faster??
how much faster? ALOT??
wow Same concept applies here Anyone wanna show the gaines of wanna these ina 5th gear pull? bout 2 horsepower MAYBY dude to underdriving

The silicoln ring is a torsional dampner and you loose horsepower due to frictional losses.. read the apart about what a torsional dampner is. Also refer to the shop diagrams in the pzev forum. It says Crankshaft dampner.. every single engine ever made has a dampner.. its heavy yes its nessasary definatly.
Stop fighting with me about this guy who just blew up his engine by doing something stupid to it while im running 9.30` in the eigth with a fully modified zetec I know what the hell im talking about. And guess what.. I dont have an UDP on my car

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
Tom doesnt recomend a UDP, my new engine just installed is not getting a UDP. With Crower stage 4 cams, my engine runs smooth and a perfect idle.

I've had udp's on my previous engine and i can feel the difference in the smoothness.

No UDP for me again!!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
well, i definately felt a gain after mine was installed. there was a similar thread on ths over at teamzx2 forums. hey, i don't know. all i do know is i got gains & haven't had an problems the 2 years it's been on. i'm just coming up to 60k miles. i know a couple of guys nearing 100k & report no problems. lastly, if you want, i can provide dyno sheets to prove udp's increase hp.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ford Racing sells UDPs. What's going on there if they are not good for the engine? The old 2.3 pinto engines did not have a damper, just a pulley, but the Zetec has elastomer in its pulley. Is ths just for NVH control for the accessories, or really for crank dampening?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Ford Racing sells UDPs. What's going on there if they are not good for the engine? The old 2.3 pinto engines did not have a damper, just a pulley, but the Zetec has elastomer in its pulley. Is ths just for NVH control for the accessories, or really for crank dampening?
It's just for NVH control of the accessories, and since my crank pulley install went badly, i'm not allowed to help anyone anymore....i'll let the guy who runs a 9.3 with the sleeptec tell you what to do.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you andy for admitting you should be quiet
Oh by the way the sleeptec is getting swapped fora dura turbo and were all ford fans here. Running ford engines.. Thank you for insulting the entire line of zetec engines Including the v8 ones back in the 70-80 that were upwards of 800 horsepower) (ZETEC is an old racing term for the research and devolpment department of ford for high horsepower v8) Might i add the fastest ford four cylinder dohc street engine i know of Tom`s.. Man those Durasleeps sure got some catching up to do
BTW you have no reason to trust what i have to say but tom is a badass and you should probably trust his word

·
Registered
66 Posts
i read in a british mag "ford performance" or something (its laying around the house somewhere) that they lost HP after installing the fs/udp. they dyno'ed before and after and lost power.
maybe its all on a case by case basis. i only had the butt dyno for mine and liked it but i dont know if i'd do it again given the chance. i think it was just one of the 1st available parts to put on our cars and so we did it. just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.