Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know you\'re a racer if....

Got this from s2ki.com, who got it from somewhere else...

You know you're a race car driver when:

-You think the primary purpose of wings is to PREVENT flight.

-You are happiest when your street car's tires are worn to "racing depth".

-When something falls off of your car, you wonder how much weight you just saved.

-Your racing budget exceeds your housing payment.

-Your email address refers to your car rather than to you.

-You walk "proper lines" through the grocery store.

-You measure all family acquisitions in terms of the number of race tires that could have been purchased. (EG: You know well that orthodontic work is the equivalent of three sets of Hoosiers.)

-Your Christmas list begins with "another set of Porterfield Rs4s and Toyo RA1's" (and your 'significant other' knows what these are).

-After your answer to "What did you do this weekend?" the next question is always: "And you do this for fun? Right?"

-Your reading material in your bathroom consists of auto parts and racing supply catalogs.

-Your criteria for selecting a significant other include their auto repair skills and garage space, then your first date involves asking her to crew for you.

-You plan your wedding around the race schedule.

-You remember the dates and details of every race you've ever been in, but can't remember your phone number.

-Your family brings the couch into the garage so they can spend some time with you.

-You complain when cars in front of you on highway off-ramps don't stay on the line, causing your exit speed to drop.

-You refer to the corner down the street from your house as "Turn One."

-You look at the fire hydrant at that corner and see an apex marker.

-You always late apex the intersection and try to pass a few cars coming out.

-You hate long distance drives to visit relatives of to go on vacation, but you will gladly drive 800 miles to the race track.

-You save broken car parts as "mementos".

-Your last several freeway forays included just brushing the curbs as you apexed the on-ramps perfectly.

-You have the Tire Rack programmed on your speed dialer.

-You know the "racing line" of every turn in your daily commute, including your alternate routes, and practice hitting them every day.

-After you tell your wife where you'd like to go on your vacation she answers: "Why... is there a race there?"

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Re: You know you\'re a racer if....

never seen it before but love it. lets see- my bathroom reading, grassroots, pegasus, race schedules. when i married 1st wife, vee was on trailer outside church ready for bridgehampton weekend (thats why we married on a friday night.) won't fly to texas w/wife to be with her daughter for thanksgiving, going to vir. know track phone #'s by heart as well as motels plus know the people there pretty well. occasionally use race kuhmos on street runs to wear new ones in. vacation days- spread out, all marked at work on calendar with things like vir, summit point, carolina motorsports park. whenever i am mia from work for a while, upon returning am told so you survived again without being asked where i was. no pictures of stepkids on desk at work, just previous race cars in action and the boat. two drawers full of parts catalogs and reciepts for said parts. parts awaiting install behind desk. when ordering parts know people at fifty plus places know me by first name and sometimes i know the names of their kids and dogs. they know my credit card number by heart. they call me sometimes unasked. am told i need to keep buying things as the national gdp depends on my continued effort. have heart attack when someone does not have my credit card on file when ordering. when anyone in county does a 10-80 and loses ten pursuers i am first suspect. (just kidding) no room in shed for unimportant stuff like mower or ladders. we need to keep the spare parts dry. (this is true) you have a coffee table supported by out of round wheels in spare room. you are wakened at 2 am and say immediately did they call my group to the false grid. (that happened also) you take five minutes to pack for 1st "real" vacation in five years, but car is on trailer, truck is packed and everything but ice in coolers are ready a week early. (drives wife up the wall) she asks two days before leaving, do you think you could go to sleep now, as you replay video and critque last outing at that track at 1 am. muttering damn there's a second left in that turn. you haven't checked tire pressure in her car for a year but constantly lavish attention on race tires. (oh you poor tires its cold out, oh tires would you like some nice formula vee treatment before we mount you.) can't remember doctors appointment day but know how many days ahead you must start treating said tires. playboy out, now lust after coilovers and hoosiers. race motel has x-rated movies but you stare out window at car on trailer and say tomorrow its you and me girl. at food store say that steak is expensive and get dirty look as you just paid for two entry's and four new tires. the big one. wife finally actually figures out that you may have fibbed a little bit when she finds a shoebox overflowing with reciepts.

·
Registered
872 Posts

-You look at the fire hydrant at that corner and see an apex marker.

-You always late apex the intersection and try to pass a few cars coming out.

-Your last several freeway forays included just brushing the curbs as you apexed the on-ramps perfectly.
These 3 are painfully true for me, especially number 2

·
Registered
537 Posts

I completely denounce being a track monkey... I am not addicted... really..

Did you know my best theoretical laptime based off section split times for Streets of Willow would be a 1:37.632

Which means I have 6 seconds I need to gain =/

·
Registered
387 Posts

I had seen one of these on e-mail some time ago that included the following one:

- You'd gladly give up air conditioning and some other options for a factory-installed rollcage.

I think my response was, "well, yeah - who wouldn't?"

·
Registered
3,661 Posts

well i have been asked many times by younguns, did your car come that way. i now answer yes, you need to check the race option box when you order. its code rc. gives you the roll cage, quaife, corbeaus, porterfields, etc. funny thing is they believe me as i keep a straight face. pity the poor ford greeters at the dealership when asked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts