Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your idle after installing Cams...Let\'s talk about it

What up guys and gals. Just got done installing my Crower Stg II cams last night. A BIG THANKS to Walter (Focusboy) for help on the install!

Anyway...my idle now is pretty rough and we are both pretty sure we got that thing as clost to TDC as possible. A couple times it wants to stall. I am going to be sending my chip to FS really soon to get the idle bumped up to 1000 rpm when warm and that will help alot.

But...what is your guys idle like. After the install...and then after tuning? Any tips on where to play with the cam gears to smooth it out a bit?

Another question...How did you keep your cam gears at 0,0 when the cams have dowls (sp?) going into the cam gear? The only way we could think to do it was to adjust the intake gear so that the bar would fit at TDC. So now the exhaust reads 0 and the intake is something like + or - 6 I think even though technically they are both at 0,0.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Re: Your idle after installing Cams...Let\'s talk about it

To answer your first question: before tuning my idle was somewhat bad. After I tinkered around with the gears by myself (just to get it close before dyno), it got 10X better. This Satuarday is a Team CFL Dyno Day, so I'll let you know when we get back from that if it got any better. As for adjusting them, obviously common sense would tell us to keep one constant and keep one varible. What I did was adjust the intake side by 2 degrees at a time. Stop the car, move it 2 more degrees. Drive it, if it gets worse than go back to where you started and go in the other direction. Pretty much what I did was just drove around town, see where my powerband was, stopped the car and moved one. Once I felt that my intake side was pretty good, I started then on my exhaust. Did the same thing I did with the other one until it felt good. Just always make sure you've got every tight before you start the car back up, because the last thing you want is for that damn thing to slide. Happened to me, I ended up retarding my cold side to beyond 20 degrees - not pretty my friend. Also, do yourself a favor before you start - take out the screw that holds up your coolant res. This way when you stop the car, you can just yank it off that back hinge-thingy and have more room for adjusting and stuff. You definately need to be close and have good eyes for reading those small ass little lines. Another thing - when you stop your car to adjust the gears, always pick a cool spot to make it look like your doing something really important or yell and cuss and make it seem like you broke down or something. Just makes it more fun.

Number Two: When we put our shafts in, we just yanked those dowls out with a wrench. It makes it a lot easier to put the belt on and stuff. CFLers don't think they're very important

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

To answer your first question: before tuning my idle was somewhat bad. After I tinkered around with the gears by myself (just to get it close before dyno), it got 10X better. This Satuarday is a Team CFL Dyno Day, so I'll let you know when we get back from that if it got any better. As for adjusting them, obviously common sense would tell us to keep one constant and keep one varible. What I did was adjust the intake side by 2 degrees at a time. Stop the car, move it 2 more degrees. Drive it, if it gets worse than go back to where you started and go in the other direction. Pretty much what I did was just drove around town, see where my powerband was, stopped the car and moved one. Once I felt that my intake side was pretty good, I started then on my exhaust. Did the same thing I did with the other one until it felt good. Just always make sure you've got every tight before you start the car back up, because the last thing you want is for that damn thing to slide. Happened to me, I ended up retarding my cold side to beyond 20 degrees - not pretty my friend. Also, do yourself a favor before you start - take out the screw that holds up your coolant res. This way when you stop the car, you can just yank it off that back hinge-thingy and have more room for adjusting and stuff. You definately need to be close and have good eyes for reading those small ass little lines. Another thing - when you stop your car to adjust the gears, always pick a cool spot to make it look like your doing something really important or yell and cuss and make it seem like you broke down or something. Just makes it more fun.

Number Two: When we put our shafts in, we just yanked those dowls out with a wrench. It makes it a lot easier to put the belt on and stuff. CFLers don't think they're very important
LOL!!!
The part about looking important and swearing is the best idea! I'll definately be doing that! I think I'll try a retirement center first and then maybe a crowded grocery store parking lot!

Seriously though...thanks for your reply! I'm definately going to try what you suggested. As for the dowls...I don't really wanna tear it all back open and pull them out, but if it dosen't get any better trying what you suggested...then I just might.

So tuning them made your idle a lot better huh? That gives me hope!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

UPDATE: Alright so before seeing if I can pull the dowel off of the intake cam without removing the cam so I can get my intake cam gear to read 0 at TDC I played with the cam gears to try and fix the idle which has been pretty rough.
1) I advance the intake cam gear = Car runs rough...stalls
2) I retard the intake cam gear = Car runs rought...almost stalls
3) I put it back where it was...which is like -6 line even though its technically 0, TDC = Car runs more rough than it had before I started this.

Now I'm pissed cause its running like poop. So now with the intake where it was before I started this I retard the exhaust cam gear to the 3rd line = Car runs smoother than it did before I started.
Good thing! I gotta get to work in the morning

So anyway...I really need to get in there, rip out the intake cam dowel set everything back at TDC and 0,0 and hit the dyno. I'm also going to be sending my chip to FocusSport to get the idle bumped to about 1000. My car has always idled around 680 - 700 when hot and has always had a poop idle even new.

QUESTION...Is it true Advancing usually = greater low end and retarding usually = greater top end?

·
Registered
733 Posts

Start over... I installed my crower stage 2's and had no idle issues.. ran like a dream... check again that the crank is at TDC... Your idle is rough due to being off by a varied amount... either the intake or exhaust.. most likley the intake... If it is not that.. recheck you plugs and wires... vacume hoses... and the like...

worst case get a shop to take a look at it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts