Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You\'re Jetfest Review !

Well overall I can say its the most fun I've had in a very very long time all year.

I know now next year that I will be taking vacation time from work so that I can get there a day early and leave the day after. Its quite fun really just getting to meet everyone is really cool and looks out for eachother.

It was a great time. I rolled into town and the first thing I saw was a black hatchback all blacked out. Then I heard the exhaust of another focus pass on the other side of the road im like hmm awsome. Foci were driving round all night it was something else. You could drive up and down the street the hotels were on and just see focus after focus after focus, the locals had not a clue.

The local carwash recived a lot of buisness friday night and saturday morning you had to wait to get a wash that seemed to be a popular location.

Once I got to the event I was so impressed the aww of just looking at so many focus's and meeting everyone the autocross was great fun to watch. It was great period.

The hotel partyin and all was great, the after party dinner at damons was very nice. Lets fill that restruant up next year if its in south bend.

The convoy home was fun, except for a scary moment that I keep seeing in my head fotunatly for us it resulted in little dammage and no one got hurt.

I can't tell ya how much fun I had it was enjoyable everyone come out next year

I can't remeber all the people I met but all great ^^

·
Registered
914 Posts
Re: You\'re Jetfest Review !

I had a blast. I got to meet people that I've talked to on the boards and people that I've always heard of or about. The Powerworks ride along was a blast and I'd love picking up one of the big boost kits after driving it. WOW!! Thank god the trip home was better than the trip there. Overall it was a good weekend. Thanks for everyone involved. Maybe next year we can see it in St. Louis!!

-Mike

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

take that back! i'm not Jetfest Review!!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts

Maybe you really are and just didn't realize it!

·
Banned
17,312 Posts

Maybe you really are and just didn't realize it!
I was thinking that IIIII was when I read the title.

·
Registered
434 Posts

I had a good time, and almost everyone I talk to had a complete blast. For the "next time", though, I have some suggestions:

1. Ensure that there are restrooms available for the entire event
2. Food/Drink Vendors! (i know, the ones lined up this year ditched)
3. Covered seating areas...a nice (large) canopy with some picnic tables under it would have been great
4. Nametags! (I heard there were tags at the registration tent, but there were none when I got there, and I didn't see anyone wearing them)

Also, at the risk of being flamed and ran off the forum, I felt that the $10-15/day entrance fee (depending on when you paid) was steep for what was offered event-wise. The cars were awesome, the rides in the powerworks vehicles were amazing, but paying up to $15/day for access to a parking lot w/ a handful of vendor tents was not what I expected. What did the fees go towards? (I know Tirerack needed paid, and there are insurance requirements, I'm sure...)

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts

1. Ensure that there are restrooms available for the entire event
We did the best with what we had available to us. As I've mentioned in other threads, porta-potties were expensive and we didn't have the budget to provide them for the 1 hour or so a day needed when the TR was not open.

2. Food/Drink Vendors! (i know, the ones lined up this year ditched)
Once again, we did the best with the cards we were dealt. There were vending machines inside the Tire Rack and both Powerworks and TurboTom stepped up with cheap or FREE food. We also let everyone know the food situation in advance so they could bring eats... we also posted a map of all the local restaurants within 10 minutes from TR.

3. Covered seating areas...a nice (large) canopy with some picnic tables under it would have been great
This year's budget did not allow us to rent a big tent. Next year we will, with tables and chairs (that has already been decided).

4. Nametags! (I heard there were tags at the registration tent, but there were none when I got there, and I didn't see anyone wearing them)
Yes, there were nametags. We bought 400 of them and I still have some left. We tried to keep them out on the table. If they weren't when you came by I wish you would have asked, because we had plenty. Also, a LOT of people put them on and I saw a LOT of people wearing them so I'm not sure why you didn't see them.

Also, at the risk of being flamed and ran off the forum, I felt that the $10-15/day entrance fee (depending on when you paid) was steep for what was offered event-wise. The cars were awesome, the rides in the powerworks vehicles were amazing, but paying up to $15/day for access to a parking lot w/ a handful of vendor tents was not what I expected. What did the fees go towards? (I know Tirerack needed paid, and there are insurance requirements, I'm sure...)
This was a first time event, run by a very small enthusiast web site. The costs to put on this type of event are VERY expensive. I won't go into an itemized list (it would be probably over 100 things we had to purchase or rent) but, just to start, we had to acquire 5 milliion dollars worth of liability insurance for 2 days... and for an event with modified automobiles speeding around a track, it's NOT cheap. I venture to say that maybe you weren't there on Sat.? There was a LOT of action. Sun. was kind of a "chill" day.

I consulted with Todd (BUR_ZX3), the promoter of Focus on the Beach, regarding fees prior to the event. The fee structure was in line with comparable events of this nature.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

i think prices were fine....to be registered and to be there for 2 days it was only $20 most shows are atleast $15/ day.....and for $35 you got a shirt too...also to register to be in any of the events it was only $10 and thats also pretty cheap!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

It was the best $300 I have spent in a long time!

Scott

·
Registered
434 Posts

It's cool...I really didn't want to upset anyone. If it cost 10bucks a person to put on the event, well then that's what it cost. I had no idea what the insurance, etc, costs were, but I was sure they were substantial. The recommendations were for the "next" JF, and I feel they were good suggestions (except the nametags, although I swear I only saw maybe 10 people with them on)

So, my apologies. I'm not a car "enthusiast", really...I just love MY car. I don't go to car shows, I don't autox or drag, so I was grossly ignorant in what the costs are. I suppose I was inappropriately comparing this event to other, non-car-related events that I have been to.

I still had a good time, I was there for saturday afternoon.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I had a great time!! Can't wait until next year. You guys put on a wonderful show.

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts

I have a suggestion, have it in Vegas.

Or at least closer to the "center" of the country. 1 day drive from east coast + 3 day drive from west coast != center.

·
Registered
46 Posts

vegas isnt really center frush...but yeah..i agree...that was a haul for those poor cali guys...

oh yeah...anyone hear how the trip back went for tribal and them?

i heard they blew out a tire and all kinds of stuff.....everyone and everything ok??

·
Registered
12,245 Posts

holy crap on a stick batman i'm tired.

i've got the worst sinus headache and sore throat...

arg

i hate such an awsome freakin time!

the highlight for me was riding in the RS8 and having Andy from Ford Racing/RBR go absolutely bawls to the walls crazy with it around the building. I understand now, how it competes with the Lambo Murcie.

riding in TurboToms black SVT was absolutely insane...makes me want his kit even more but realize that...a person can get themselves into a lot of trouble(not with the law) but with not paying attention to what their doing, VERY VERY VERY quickly.

FastTrax car was so awsome, I finally got to see it in person and holy [censored] was it worth it.
I was a bit awstruck when I saw it and i've been such a long time supporter of his car that I didn't really know what to say to him.

I didn't get a chance to ride in teh PW cars but they are absolutely amazing. Such a wide array of applications is so awsome, espeically for just one car.

all of the vendors were super nice and very easy to chat with and talk shop with.

I've got tons of autox pix of just about every car/driver that was out there.

The drive out wasn't bad, traffic sucked but it was ok.
The drive home however, was not without its incidents as Amanda(xmandax) ended up losing control and putting it into the mud and nearly taking out the car that won 1st place for "Best Paint" lol. atleast she's ok and the dmg to her car is repairable.

The nights were full of laughs and snores...craig(fiends911) jees man, i need to get you some nasal breathe right strips or something lol.

I finally got to meet a lot of the ppl on the boards and get to put a face to the name. Especially ax0n b/c I thought he was much older then he is. reminisicent of the Matrix when Neo frist means Trin and goes "I thought you were a man" lol.

I've got a boatload of pictures that I took of jsut about everything while walking about, i figure its over 2,000+

JetFest05 was well worth the trip and I'll gladly do it again next year as long as its not in Vegas as some of the rumors i heard floating around the crowds were saying.

and not to mention that i took home First Place for "BEST I.C.E."!!!!!! and that if the event does not go on again, I'll be going down in Focal history as being the 1st and only 1st place winner for Best I.C.E.!!! awww yeah!!

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts

vegas isnt really center frush...but yeah..i agree...that was a haul for those poor cali guys...
I know it isn't center, but it would be about the same for west coasters as this location was for east coasters, and it would be much cooler. I mean, come on, it's Vegas.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts