Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Future of the running shoe?

I'm in the middle of the book Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. It's a great adventure running book based on real life experiences. It's the best running book that I have ever read. This book documents the elite ultra distance running Tarahumara indians of Copper Canyon Mexico. The book has alot of knowledge on running. Great read so far.

The book has lead me to do research on bare foot running and zero drop minimalist running shoes that allow the foot a bare foot experience.

I used to love to run but in the last 10 years I have drifted away from running because of ankle injuries and foot pain when I run. I'm taking a plunge with this new gospel on running that I have discovered.

Going to get me a pair of these running shoes soon.

Not sure which. The Vibram Five Fingers caught my interest at first but now I'm leaning towards a shoe that doesn't have the individual toe fingers.

Somebody into this stuff?

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been on my to-do list to get some New Balance Minimus'

I considered these even though the current model have a 4mm rise on the heel. Not true zero drop. They were too narrow for my feet. Looked at quite a few shoes at Runergy running shoe store.

I ended up buying a pair of BE REAL shoes. Will be running in them soon.

HTTP://WWW.berealshoes.com

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went for a mile run in the new BE REAL shoes and unfortunately I'm going to have to return them and try something different.

These are the ones.

I had a problem with the right shoe fitting correctly. I think the shoes may be defective. One thing that I noticed mostly is that my 2nd and 3rd toes are a little longer than my 1st big toe. Because of the shape of my toes I'm unable to run in these shoes. My toes are rubbing on the top part of the rubber. I ran about 1 mile with these and my toes were hurting.

Going to take these back tomorrow and try something different. Also going to let the shoe salesman know that the shoes don't work for people who have long 2nd and 3rd toes so that in the future he checks the length of his customers toes.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Can you mod them like 5fingers?
I don't know. I returned them today to Runergy store.

Today I got fitted much better by an older more experienced sales rep. Today I had time to try on the shoes and run on a treadmill with a video camera that captures the motion of my feet as I ran. It was a better experience. I chose the Vibram Five Finger Bikila LS.

Here they are on my feet.

Took them on a 4 mile hike and jog through Solstice canyon in Malibu today(no socks). They are very comfortable and so far i am pleased with them.

I have been hiking with cheap flip flop style sandals for the last month preparing my feet to get a decent pair of minimalist shoes. My feet feel good right now.No pain in my ankles. I'm happy. Time to train and in about 3 months I'm going to get another pair of minimalist running shoes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
no worries of developing flat feet by using those? They support the arches pretty well?

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
no worries of developing flat feet by using those? They support the arches pretty well?
They don't support your arches at all. These are designed to strengthen your feet and lower legs. The key is using correct form when moving in them. Heel first movement is a no no. The zero drop forces the arch to stretch out and be worked out more.

I'm not worrying about developing flat feet. If I develop any type of health problem from these type of shoes I will post my results. As I stated earlier for me running used to be fun until I developed ankle and foot problems. I'm hoping zero drop shoes improve my feet and lower leg health so that i can enjoy running again.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Adidas launches barefoot shoe

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Adidas is going barefoot.

The world's second-largest athletic company unveiled its first "barefoot" training shoe Tuesday, which is designed to mimic the experience of exercising barefoot while providing the protection, traction and durability of a shoe. The Adipure Trainer, which is a cross between a glove for the feet and a traditional shoe, hits U.S. stores in November priced at $90.
Full story: Adidas barefoot shoe yahoo report

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well I just trashed the Vibram Five Finger Bikila LS models. I probably only put 400 miles on them of running and hiking. I'm a big fat man right now and the Bikila LS are more for a skinny conditioned runner. The soles held up ok but the softer material on the sides of the arch was getting very thin.

I love the fit and feel of these shoes so I got me another pair. This time I got a pair of TrekSports in black charcoal. They are much more comfortable for my feet. I should have started off on these. These seem to be designed more for bigger people who like to run and hike. Very comfortable. The soles offer more rubber and support. They have a 4mm heel offset which isn't quite zero but so far it feels more comfortable for me. Looking forward to more adventures with these shoes.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I got at least 1000 running miles on my Vibram Sprints before I threw them out. I only did light trail running, and a lot of road work. I have 2 pairs of Bikilas (one a little bigger for the winter and thicker socks) and I love them.

I have found it very difficult to wear typical shoes comfortably since adapting to the Vibrams.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts