Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of fuel pump are you boosted guys/girls running on your zetec-powered focus?

I have been hearing things about the SVT focus pump, 2003+ normal focus pump, and the Ford GT super car pump (aka cobra or SVT pump).

After talking to someone about the GT pump, I was made aware it is NOT the SVT focus pump. Rather, Cobra guys found that the SVT focus pump flowed more than their cobra pumps and they started using those. Then they found out the GT pump flowed more, and started using those in their builds.

Important stuff:
* What pump are you using?
* Is it a direct swap or does some type of custom fabrication have to be done?
* Have you seen any drawbacks or problems with your pump?
* What are your experiences with the Kenne-Bell Boost-A-Pump?

** I have a 2002 Zetec focus that is going to be built for mild 12psi street boost and 20+ psi for high boost.

Please let me know if I am missing something in regards to the pumps.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I am currently using the ford GT supercar pump in my car. I personally haven't seen any drawbacks but I know Randy has ran into a few issues when tuning with it because the way you command fuel pressure is different IIRC. It's almost a direct swap although you have to switch over to spade terminals from the wiring harness that the zetecs use to connect to the pump (self explanatory though as the pump has + and - indications right on it and the old one uses black and red colors).

I am running about 13psi on the pumpkin's turbo setup right now and I believe around 275-300 crank hp (250whp, maybe a touch more) and it does fine. I'm shooting for 350whp or so. The real issue IMO is the crappy zetec fuel system, small lines etc. make it hard to maintain higher fuel pressures. I'll sleep just fine at night using 40psi of fuel pressure for my system, despite what others may say.

I had a BAP and it didn't work too well, only added 4psi of fuel pressure when cranked all the way up...others swear by it though. Maybe my fuel system is a lemon.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Stock SVT fuel system, 50# injectors, BAP, couple of changes in the tune (this is extremely important) and I hold 62psi of fuel pressure at 7000 rpms.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
'06+ Duratec pump will be sufficient.

- Drew

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
2003+ fuel tank and pump and BAP running up to 21psi on race fuel. I plan on converting to a fuel return system with a surge tank/fuel cell and will be selling my BAP soon if you're interested.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I would say get an svt pump if your goal is arround 300 whp. Your year tank design should make the whole svt assembly a drop in. Or you can add a boost a pump to your stock pump and be safe that way too.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
^^The above didn't work for my car, I have a 2001 zetec with the post-recall pump design. I used a BAP and couldn't maintain more than 34psi of fuel pressure at 220whp or so when commanding 40psi.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Are you positive that the BAP was hooked up properly and working properly?

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Yeah, it was working as it was set up to bypass the pressure switch and only work at WOT. It added a few psi (went from 30 to 34-35psi) but didn't work the right way. So far we've done all right by just commanding additional fuel pressure to the point where it maintains 40+psi at max load at WOT, but that's more of a band-aid than anything. It does work, though :).

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
How can you only activate it at WOT? I am also not using the pressure switch and it's on all of the time.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crap! Either I didn't subscribe to the thread or it didn't let me know people replied!

Thanks for the good info on this.
I don't want to use a BAP if I don't have to. A straight swap of the svt pump seems the best idea so far.

About the crappy fuel lines...can those be swapped for larger, perhaps Aeroquip stainless lines?

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Usually the easiest way to upgrade for higher capacity is to swap to a return style fuel system. Search for a thread from Dtec04 in here, I'm too lazy to find it right now lol...

EDIT: I think it's in the FI section.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts