Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know the details, but I know that the Zetec DOHC 4 has been around in various forms for many years.

What kind of longevity have people achieved with this engine, given normal maintenance, and driven in everyday usage ? Not modified; not hot-rodded.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Uh, I got about 4,200mi right now and running strong!! (I know, no one likes a smart ass..)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Over 81,000 miles put on it since april of 00', other than my tranny crapping out(right out of warrenty of course
)
The engine is strong and mine is sorta hotrodded,with the head package i have.
But with all the abuse i have put on it,including the first 30,000 miles was delivering papers :lol:It as stood up strong...So IMHO, it is a strong engine

john-

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
We see older Contours and ZX2's come in on trade with a TON (150k+) of miles on them--and running pretty strong still. Like any machine, it will take care of you as long as you take care of it...

Also, I have some friends that are Ford techs; they say that they rarely have to work on the "guts" of zetecs.

[ 10-23-2002, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Auto-X-ZTS ]

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
44k w/ frequent use of the rev limiter, and runnin' strong!

I think I've got one of the best ones from the factory, so I'm a lucky sucker.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Originally posted by Auto-X-ZTS:
[QB]Like any machine, it will take care of you as long as you take care of it...QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Exactly, My friend has a 98 Chevy Cavalier Z24 and he beats the livin poop out of it and the engine runs like the day he got it and it has about 100,000 KM on it.On his 3rd tranny but engine runs strong b/c it gets everything it needs when it needs it.All his engine has ever gotten is a new K&N cone filter and oil changes every 5000 KM but the 2.4 is a awesome engine in my eyes b/c it was designed after the Quad 4 which was just plain crazy
I have Chevy but the Quad 4 is one of my fav's

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Almost 40000 miles of aggressive driving.
(run through the gears daily)
Half of them turbocharged with double the power.
Approximtely 1000 of them would be considered 'racing' miles.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've got close to 115,000 miles on my '02 ZTS and it is running beautifully. The only things to look out for are the thermostat housing and the valve gasket. Other than that, as long as you do the normal maintenance it is a very strong engine.

·
&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;&#9608;
2,662 Posts
2001 ZX3 SE 145,000 Miles and it's my Daily driver - I have NO idea how this car was taken care of before I owned it but I have owned 1 other zetec focus used from 15K and an accident ended it's life at 169,000 Miles. They will last if you take care of them. I'm in the middle of doing some maintenance to my vehicle as we speak.

The typical problems found with the focus are as follows,

1.) Ignition cylinder locks up - You can't remove your key from the Ignition.
2.) Fuel Pums go bad often. - There was even a Ford Recall on this.
3.) Thermostat Housing cracks / Leaks - A plastic housing of course it's gonna grack sooner or later.
4.) PCV Hose collapses and leaks - This causes rough idle and stalling.

If anyone has anything else to list in the TYPICAL issues with the focus it's good to know what to keep an eye on, Post up.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
The typical problems found with the focus are as follows,

2.) Fuel Pums go bad often. - There was even a Ford Recall on this.
4.) PCV Hose collapses and leaks - This causes rough idle and stalling.
Just want to qualify these...
The fuel pump problems only existed before 2002.5, all newer pumps are okay.
The next time you change the PCV hose should be your last, they are all armored now.

Add, DPFE sensor is a pretty constant fail, expect it to go out at least once every 50-70K miles for the newer ones and more often for the older style.

I currently have 119,000 miles on my smooth and strong running, modded Zetec. :arr:

·
Orange cones scare me
2,865 Posts
See my signature ;) and she's still running strong

·
WHERES MY KEYS?!?
2,743 Posts
i picked up a 2000 ZTS a couple months ago because it was cheap 120k miles no oil leaks vibrates a little at idle but motor is putting up with me pushing it pretty hard

some the whines when i turn thinking the power stearing is getting ready to remind me that i'm owner number 7 according to the car fax.

oh and it passed smog yesterday just had to take my aftermarket intake off.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Yeah, well, old cars are not without their...charms...

I think my IAC is going the car wants to die at idle occasionally. I've got a spare full intake manifold with all of the emissions stuff, I'll probably swap the whole thing if it gets bad.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Wow where did this thread come from?

105K here, engine has been good, its the other stuff attached to it that breaks

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Actually this thread makes allot more sense now than it did when it started... people reporting stuff like 4,200, 36K, 50K miles, whoopie :rolleyes: Didn't say much about longevity when it started.

You don't learn much until there's significant numbers of positive reports on cars with over 250, 300K miles... then you start to see how the stock internals hold up.

·
Banned
334 Posts
Hit 160k and had to re-build the 2000 focus wagon zetec 2.0l DOHC. I beleive something or another went wrong when this motor was put together, and they put slightly smaller pistons in from factory. Which cause the car to barely pass emissions all it's life, and eventually needing the re-build around 160k.

Ford bastards. Proble got a drunk to build my engine. But I still love these FoFo's.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts