Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the zetec and spi have the same crank journal diameters, I think that they have the same main caps. I want to buy some esslinger caps for an spi buildup I'm doing and I want to make sure they are the same. Here's a pic of the spi bottom end.

Before I start looking for zetec main caps in the junkyards so I can match it to an spi one, just tell me if they at least remotely look similar. Anyone know what the thickness of the cap is?

[ 12-14-2002, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Gigaherz ]

·
Registered
645 Posts
Gig,
If you get the Esslinger main caps they will need to be line bored and honed, so journal size won't matter unless the SPI crank is a lot smaller.
The bolt pattern and alignment steps on the sides of the caps are what to look for. If the SPI block has slightly narrower alignment steps the caps could be milled to fit, if the bolt pattern is the same.
I didn't do main caps when I did my bottom end so I don't have the stockers to give you the measures off of. Maybe Tom or FC could give you some info.
Good luck on your build!
Bruce

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info leadfoot. I'll see if Tom or FC can help me out. I was hoping tom would see this post and tell me actually but I guess I'll have to get off my but and call him.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for taking time out of your day to give me the info tom!! I only wish I could have talked to you longer.

Btw, if anyones curious they are pretty much the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts