Ford Focus Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
20,359 Posts
The simple way to put it is that a dry-sump system pumps the oil into a reservoir and not into the oil pan... so that in a racing setup, when cornering your oil isn't sloshing to one side and not getting picked up.

· Registered
212 Posts
Tobyboom said:
Actually our oil pan flattens out to let the exhaust pass under it. And as far as I can tell, the piece pictured replaces the aluminum windage tray (bulkhead, etc whatever you wanna call it) as well as the oil pan itself. I kinda wonder what the purpose of changing out the entire windage tray is considering that our windage tray is one of the most well engineered parts on the entire car.
OO "our windage tray is one of the most well engineered parts on the entire car." Really?? tell me more plz?

· Registered
33 Posts
DantesZx3 said:
OO "our windage tray is one of the most well engineered parts on the entire car." Really?? tell me more plz?
The bulkhead or windage tray uses piston bay segregation baffles. This is the same sort of thing that you see in Winston Cup pans or Formula 1 engines. Windage travels along the crank from bay to bay because the crank acts like a crude propeller. The baffles mechanically interfere with this process. It is a worthwhile addition to a dry sump as well which is why you see it in Formula 1.

That doesn't mean it cannot be improved upon, of course. Modern BMW engines (and others) use isolated tunnels to return oil from the head to the sump without it having to encounter the rotating assembly at all.

I still owe some people free modified sumps and baffles. I have them sitting there partially completed. I have simply been extremely busy but have not forgotten.

Kevin

· I
13,781 Posts
21 - 31 of 31 Posts