Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Define "hotter".

I'd bet that they both have almost identical operating coolant temperature ranges... like most other engines.

If you are referring to how an engine "feels" once you open the hood, it could be that your proximity to the exhaust manifold would create the impression that the Zetec would run hotter, but otherwise, the designated maximum and minimum coolant temps between the two are probably almost or exactly identical.

My Zetec certainly doesn't run hot. After 100 miles lapping the Streets of Willow, the temp gauge never moved past normal, and it doesn't feel even slightly abnormal when I open the hood.

[ 03-27-2003, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: OmniFocus ]

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Originally posted by OmniFocus:
the temp gauge never moved past normal, and it doesn't feel even slightly abnormal when I open the hood.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thats cus its not accurate at all. Stock temp gauge is pointless.

Off = Low
Car on = Middle
Car is overheating = High

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Omni

On a sunny day 51 (deg outside )I went outside and plug my OBD II scanner, from autotap. like always, I was looking at the data, I notice long time ago that zetec fan (low speed one)Kicks in when the CHT (Cylinder-head temperature sensor) reaches 234 F.

I know that zetecs -02' models use CHT instead of ECT, but that's another story.

On my 98 SPI, Fan kicks in when ECT reaches 219.

Like Tdot says "Stock temp gauge is pointless."

Both engines could use different termostats, one could be cooler than another, but then why?

Zetecs radiator is much bigger, than SPI, holds more coolant, and uses separate cooling for transmision, where SPI 98', uses the same radiator for transmision, and engine, could it be that SPI runns cooler cause the trans oil would be too hot at 234 F for normal trans operation in SPI, and since zetec uses separete systems, it may runn hotter?

Also, to those guys, that do intakes upgrades

When the engine is fully warm up,The stock intake temp reaches 140 F, on a sunny 51 deg, day. !!!! (car being parked)

·
Registered
329 Posts
by the way, cylinder head temp, will read different temp, than a coolant temp sensor. They are mesuring heat of 2 different things.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
I'm well aware that the stock temp gauge is not particularly accurate, but I'll stick to my guns that I've probably run my car harder than most other people have. 1/2 hour flat out on a roadcourse on a 90+ degree day is not easy on a car.

ECT and CHT are apples to oranges comparisons. The ECT must be colder than the CHT in order for any cooling to actually take place. If the CHT and ECT were equal, then the coolant wouldn't be doing squat.

·
Tarderatoraka: Red-SE-00'
7,592 Posts
Originally posted by boost til' bust:
more power = more heat, probably harder to keep temps down in the zetec.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That does not make sense.

The zetec is not some 400hp monster that has a ton of heat eminating off of it.

Its only got 10tq and 20hp on an SPI.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
I believe that Ford has jacked up the operating temp on Zetecs for emissions reasons... the hotter the burn, the cleaner the burn. Or at least I've heard that before.

I thought the ambient operating temp of a Zetec was 220 while 180 for a SPI... again numbers I heard but can't remember where.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
dont know dont care but when i dynoed my car. 4 runs in drive no fan blowing on the car. the guage stayed normal untill i shut the car off. koef and then the guage whent up a little. by the time i drove the car off the dyno it was back down to normal. it was in the normal range through the whole run

1 - 13 of 13 Posts