Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, maybe a stupid question but here goes...
Ya all know the V-Tec engine in Honda's. From what I can gather it is like a "supercharged" engine or something. The "V-TEC" kicks in at a certain RPM's or something? I don't know. But anyways, is the Zetec like that, or is that just a fancy name for the DOHC engine(opposite the SPI SOHC engine.)? Just wondering, and I figured at least a few people out there have wondered this before. Thanks, Chris.

·
Banned
227 Posts
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

and

NO

Zetec is just a name. Nonthing more and nonthing less.

[ 01-21-2003, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Fastwonder ]

·
Tarderatoraka: Red-SE-00'
7,592 Posts
Zetec is just a name.

Zetec goes:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Vtec goes:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmbaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhHHHHHH

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Originally posted by Red-SE-00':
Zetec is just a name.

Zetec goes:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Vtec goes:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmbaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhHHHHHH
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">lol

unless is a D-series w/VTEC...then you're like "VTEC? i didnt notice anything"

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
There's nothing "Supercharged" about VETEC either.
It has "variable cam-timing", which goes to a second set of cam-lobes at a higher RPM. No Forced-Induction, or anything of the sort.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Zetec has actually been around longer than vtech. Its basically just a name to classify the economy car engines.

·
Registered
329 Posts
zetec has been around longer than vtec?????
vtech has been around longer than 10 years? when did the zetec come out?

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Originally posted by boost til' bust:
zetec has been around longer than vtec?????
vtech has been around longer than 10 years? when did the zetec come out?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">zetec has been out since early/mid 80s!

·
Registered
272 Posts
yeah but do your homework so has the vtec fist introduced in the the early preludes and very late 70's civics although it was not the engine that it is today. it was none the less a vtec

·
Registered
803 Posts
Lessons learned in the development of the CVCC engine led to the development of Honda's Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC) engine. First introduced in 1990 in the Acura NSX sports car, Honda's VTEC engine has been the foundation for many of Honda's breakthroughs in environmental technology. The VTEC engine can deliver high performance, as in the NSX, or high fuel economy, as in the Civic, or
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That was taken from http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/collector_cars/1999/12/happy_25th_honda_civic/index2.phtml

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Well... Not exactly. The ZX2 and SVT heads only alter cam timing. Modern VTEC alters lift and timing.

EDIT: Well.. you did say similar. That works.

[ 01-22-2003, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: OmniFocus ]

·
Registered
518 Posts
dont know about you but my zetec goes... brahh... rum rum rum... brahhh ... rum rum rum rum braahhhhhhhhhhhheeeehhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Originally posted by EggYolk_Zetec_ZX3:
Zetec (4 Cylinder), Duratec (6 cylinder), and Intech (8 Cylinder), are all Ford Motors that designate at DOHC engine design. That is all.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i am sorry this post is going on so long, but the svtf is aka duratec

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
yeah but do your homework so has the vtec fist introduced in the the early preludes and very late 70's civics although it was not the engine that it is today. it was none the less a vtec
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No car used VTEC or was badged with that name in the mid 80s. The official JDM Honda factory manual actually states that the very first VTEC engine built by Honda worldwide was a B16A put in a Integra RSi in April of 1989 (before the NSX in 1990).

But Zetec was the name used by Ford's racing engine (not at all related to the current Zetec badged 2.0 liter) used in formula racing back in the early 80s.

IOW, Honda was the one that twisted their technology (making it spell VTEC is a stretch of the imagination... Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control
) to spell out a catchy name like Ford was already using (also probably because it "sounds cool").
But lets face it, it really should be something more similar in name to Toyota's VVTL if they REALLY wanted the abreviation to just stand for the technology.
am sorry this post is going on so long, but the svtf is aka duratec
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The SVT Focus engine is still a Zetec. There is a new line of Duratec four cylinders coming to America though, but the modified Zetec in the SVT Focus is NOT one of them.

Edit:
PS: I HATE HATE HATE that. I went to go check out one of the RSXs when it first came out. And thats what the salesman at the dealer was telling everyone (including me). It has this VTEC-i technology that is like a small supercharger for the engine. Small supercharger? WTF!
I swear half the rice boys I talk to that swear that VTEC is the shizzy also don't have a clue what it does or what it looks like. It just lets you run two sets of cams. Typically if you run aggressive cams you sacrifice things like idle and low rpm power. If you run "mild" cams, you lose on top end. Cam changing allows you to choose between two sets of cam profiles (one for high rpm and one for low rpm) and cam phasing helps improve output a bit more as well by rotating the cams (what the SVT has on the intake).

[ 01-22-2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Ducman69 ]

·
Registered
234 Posts
"The SVT Focus is powered by a high-revving, twin-cam,four-cylinder engine with four valves per cylinder. The engine is based on Ford’s Zetec 2.0L I-4 found in Focus ZX3 and device directs intake air through four long runners below 6,000 rpm. Above 6,000, the manifold switches position to shorten the length of the runners, which improves peak power output."

From SVT's Website..

Not Duratec, Thats in the RS.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
Yeah, its "teh ghey" though... the RS is still a Zetec engine, but they put a Duratec badge on it so that people relate that high performance Zetec engine with the new Duratec line of engines already being put in the base models.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
as a ford tech, it is called duratec. it is not sold as a duratec. it is the smae block as the rs. there is a post i posted a while back "zetec vs duratec" or "zx3 vs svt" in the svt forum

1 - 20 of 28 Posts