Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
From what I've heard when i had a ZX2 was that a Focus head could be made to work but I never tried it. From what I've learned since they are slight mechanical differences (vct)the cams or whatever are different as far as i know. The bare head is in itself the same but a straight complete head from a ZX2 will not bolt right on as they had VCT

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Curious as to why.

- Drew

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by focusownerskid:
Curious as to why.

- Drew
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">well... if you must know
there is one on e-bay at the moment... pretty cheap last time i checked, and i figured if i could get the head cheap, i could get a port and polish on it and throw some crowers in it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
To answer part of the question, 98' ZX2's did not have VCT.

Ive owned a zx3 and OWN a zx2....theres not much to be desired from a stock zx2s head.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not much to be desired from a stock Focus head either, so what!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by TampaZX2:
To answer part of the question, 98' ZX2's did not have VCT.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ive owned a zx3 and OWN a zx2....theres not much to be desired from a stock zx2s head.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not much to be desired from a stock Focus head either, so what!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">As far as I know, all ZX2 Zetec engines had VCT.
For a Focus owner, it wouldn't be a smart move to obtain a ZX2 cylinder head, since VCT on our ZX2 engines doesn't quite improve performance, and is mainly used as an emmissions control. It essentially replaces the EGR systems in most cars.

And if you did get that, you would then also be limited to cam selection. With the exhaust cam, ZX2's only have Esslinger or Gude as a choice for the exhaust cam.

As to whether it would bolt on, I really can't say. Though, just the above info should turn off most Focus Zetec's from swapping to a ZX2 Zetec head.

·
Registered
58 Posts
get the ford racing head its a great value and should fit great! bigger valves . already ported . better springs (I think svt if they ever did that) . cnc ported ,and could be further ported also from what I understand.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think the ZX2 head has a selinoid built in to
it that controls the VCT .Don't know how that
would affect a swap though .

D.Turner

·
Registered
39 Posts
Late 99-present have VCT.

1998 ZX2's did not have a VCT setup as far as I knew. Also have 4 wire MAF's, some say a little bit larger TB's at the opening not the Butterfly and had different Fuel Injectors.

[ 03-19-2003, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: TampaZX2 ]

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by si beater?:
why not swap a svt focus, st170 or rs focus head?
if u can get one? also the intake
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">well, if i can get the head really cheap, like under 50 bucks, and if the 98 really doesnt have vct, the whole vct issue wont be a factor... plus another 350 for a port and polish (locally)... thats only 400 dollars, compared to 700+ for a ford racing head. the svt has variable timing on the intake, so that could be a problem... dont know anything about the st170 or rs heads, as far as pricing and possible vct. just looking for a fairly inexpensive head to port and polish. i'm heading to sacramento tomorrow to check their pick n pulls, so hopefully i can just find a cheap zetec head from a focus...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts