Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zx3 dyno day and Randy\'s tune

Well Saturday 8/6/05 I got my first chance to see what Randy’s tune did for my car.

I Knew it had more power and the idle was great, but I really wanted to see where I was at now.

I never had a base run so I didn’t have anything to compare it to.

The mods I have are pretty basic screaming demon coil and live wires, FS cool flow and UD pulleys and 65mm throttle body, and of course Randy’s tune.

So I drove up to BC to Zx3tunning’s dyno day and gave it a try.

I still have some adjustments to make but the numbers went like this 173.3 FWHP and 158 LBS of torque.

I’ll post pictures as soon as I figure out how too, but Welding rod was there and I hope he’ll vouch for me. I drive a 2003 SVT and I’m very happy with my first dyno.

Thanks Randy
Dyno sheets

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Zx3 dyno day and Randy\'s tune

Sorry it took so long to put these up Randy, You know I am still new to this computer stuff.

Well it was 173.3 and 158 ft-lb of torque for the (Screaming Yellow) Euro SVT.
I know because it’s my car.

The mods I have on my car right now are as follows,
FC 65mm throttle body, FC under drive pulleys, Screaming demon coil and live wires, FS cool flow intake.

The parts that really made the power you didn’t see was a custom tune for Randy at focus sport.
I also have the SCT Pro Racer package and this tune was written for my mods and dialed in for about two weeks by myself before I got there.

I did make one mistake thou, the night before I was working on the car and I disconnected the battery. Which almost cost me, because on my first run there was no memory for adaptive learning to use. As a result my AFR was way lean on my first run. I had forgotten that I had did that but it all worked out.

I even data logged my runs but, I was so excited that I forgot to log my fuel trims so the only info I have with my AFR is from the dyno wideband. I know what I set it at and it was safe but pretty lean I wanted to get as much as I could out of it. I kind of chicken out before I got there and decided not to add any more timing because of the heat. The best fuel I could get before I got there was 92 octane which is our supreme in Washington.
[thumb]

·
Registered
78 Posts

Which base code do you use for your tune? I have YRF0 but some say RLA6 does a better job.

·
Registered
316 Posts

Since most SVT's run at under 150 Whp even with those mods, you some how got 20+ more out of it with a tune only? Sure that Dyno is calibrated?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yah, I’ve heard this before.
I can’t speak for Mitch or any of the people that ran the dyno, but what I can tell you is my car has never ran better.
It’s the strongest it’s ever been and I know it’s because of Randy’s tune and the adjustment that I’ve made.

Even if the results were a little high you still can't argue with the fact that I still had the highest output that day for the SVT's that were there.

I wasn’t the first run of the day and they had everything dialed in by the time I got on the dyno and if Mitch said that everthing was done right, I believe him!

I data logged all three runs and my load was running at 110% on the top end in forth gear so take it for what its worth, and that is that my car is performing better than stock.
If the next time I go up and I get on the dyno and I have more power.

I can say that I have more power than before which is what the dyno is for in the first place.

I was planning on heading down to Portland to see how the car runs down there at there dyno event in a couple of weeks.

I think I’ll have a good look at its output then.

I started my base tune with RLA6.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Just a tune, What you buy is just a tune!

Can you adjust the setting in your car?

Change the timing or adjust the fuel ratio?

I like to say that it’s not just a out of the box tune.

I did my homework and I used the tools that I have.

Which Is SCT Pro racer package and Innovates LC-1 to data log and adjust my fuel.

If you buy an out of the box tune that’s what you have, a tune that fits all..

It safe and the gains you get are going to reflex that.

If you had the ability to push the limits to see were your engine is starting to knock and back off on the timing and increase the fuel and increase the timing again later in the Rpm band then how is that just a tune?

To understand how intake temperatures and cooling temp effect how much timing you can add and find what power is left.

That’s what custom tuning is and for that I can thank Randy.

I don’t really think that the numbers are that far off, but then again I have a lot more incite to what my car can do.

I drive it everyday and have put the time in to understand it.. Just a tune

·
Registered
385 Posts

Different dyno types give very different dyno results. It doesn't mean one is bad and one is good, it just means they are different. It also means they are not comparable to each other (however keep in mind the real purpose of a dyno is to compare your old results with your new results to gauge progress). The only real way to compare numbers between cars is to use similar dyno's, in this case Dyno Dynamics dyno'd cars you can compare with but you cannot compare these results to cars dyno'd on a dynojet for example. Since Dynojet's seem to be the most common dyno, people usually use Dynojet numbers to compare with.

Anwyay's congrats on your results, if you ever get Dynojet numbers I would love to see them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts