Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I did an engine swap on my 00 Ford Focus ZX3 and she won't turnover. There isn't a spark, the spark plug, key, everything seems and or is fine. The mechanic says that all my sensors are receiving 4 to 6 volts except for my crankshaft senor (which is new), it is receives about 1.5, not sure if that's where it needs to be at or not. I am car-less and am a full time student as well as work full time. If anyone can help me out seeing that I ride my baby back would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
257 Posts
You'll have to provide more details. What exactly happens when you turn the key? You say it doesn't turn over - are there any noises, clicks, can you hear the fuel pump prime?

BTW this subforum is for the electric focus, not electrical issues/help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll have to provide more details. What exactly happens when you turn the key? You say it doesn't turn over - are there any noises, clicks, can you hear the fuel pump prime?

BTW this subforum is for the electric focus, not electrical issues/help.
Well my mistake, just signed up. And what I am asking is if the 1.5 voltage is the proper voltage for the crank sensor, There are no noises except for the engine turning, no clanks or etc.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sorry I can't help you with the crank sensor voltage, I don't know it and I can't find my haynes manual. A ford tech should be able to tell you if it is working correctly or not. I had issues with mine a few years back(assuming crank sensor and crank position sensor are the same thing), it wasn't giving a consistent reading so my car ran like garbage; it would knock and stall out while driving. Once Ford got it drivable it pinged. To keep a long story short it ended up being metal shaving on the flywheel iirc. It's been a while.

There's a coil pack to the right of the engine, where the spark plug wires go to. Going into the coil pack is a plug with 3 wires in it. What shape is this plug in? AFAIK it's a common issue for these wires to rust off/apart. Did you take all the spark plug wires off and then push em back on and make sure they're on properly? You said there was no spark - did you test for this? What about gas - do you know if it is getting gas?

What did your mechanic say about it not running?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the mechanic said everything "seems" to be doing its job and that has to be an issue with the computer or an electrical issue. I did the spark plug thing, changed the sensors, and the readings he gets for all the sensors are the same expect the crank like I said. It is getting fuel along with all that good stuff. So should i give Ford a call and ask them for the voltages and stuff?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ok, so I read up on how the CPS works.

I do not know how much voltage goes into the CPS, only that the signal you get out of a CPS is variable.

I would think that even with low voltage, the sensor would work poorly but still be enough to at least get the car to stumble as you try and start it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I suppose, I just keep just going back and fourth, I will tell the mechanic about what you mentioned in the second post I believe about the coils and etc. I just need my baby back lmao

·
FJ Premier Sponsor
12,444 Posts
Just saw this and it may be too late to help as you may have figured it out but the crank sensor fits in an adapter in the block that's different from auto to manual cars and it's fairly common for people to swap an engine from a car with the other transmission but not change the adapter and then the car won't start.

Wish I had seen this earlier, I need to pay closer attention.

-Steve

·
Banned
64 Posts
Long story short I did an engine swap on my 00 Ford Focus ZX3 and she won't turnover. There isn't a spark, the spark plug, key, everything seems and or is fine. The mechanic says that all my sensors are receiving 4 to 6 volts except for my crankshaft senor (which is new), it is receives about 1.5, not sure if that's where it needs to be at or not. I am car-less and am a full time student as well as work full time. If anyone can help me out seeing that I ride my baby back would be greatly appreciated!
You fix the problem sir by changing your entire propulsion system and simplify.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts