Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my airbox is broken, long story dont ask, just the bottom of it, does the svt airbox bottom fit the zx3, top, also with the volant does it come with its own bottom or does it use the stock bottom, thanks.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Someone feel free to contradict me, but the SVT bottom of the air box is about $200. The Volant is it's own airbox (sorta) and the focus sport has it's own heat shield. Focus Sport Cool-Flow
Volant Intake
New Edge has both of them for the same price as focusperformance. Newedge is the bomb, though, never been overcharged on shipping got my stuff fast (all the way on the west coast)

Edit: Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't clear, just meant that neither used stock airbox

[ 10-25-2002, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: RainyZX3 ]

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Volant has its own box, but IMO it is different than the Focus sport, because the volant is fully inclosed, while the focus sport just has a heat shield that mostly sections it off from the engine bay.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i have the svt snorkel thats why i was curious, right now i got it riged up home depot style but i wanna use the whole svt snorkel into the bottom of the stock box, thats what i want to do, also the opening in the bottom of the volant, what fits in there, is it the stock snorkel? or what .

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
So is your air box broken, or can you just not get the svt to fit? It took me about an hour with a hack saw, grinder, and some silicone, but My SVT snorkel fits my stock airbox fine now.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nah when the engine mount broke and the engine surged forward into my radiator, and fan assembly,and after the horribly tumultuous, cachophony under the hood quited down, as i ground to a halt. i found that on top of half of the parts on my car being ruined, the airbox bottom was cracked off and sitting 3 inches lower with my engine's left side. While my air box was still riding high in the stock possition.oh soo much stuff broken, i lost the half shaft, both mounts need replacing, my focus central, water pump pully was bent, and the water pump damaged from the force of the engine banging the whole pully assembly agians the fender, my svt intake snorkel was crushed, along with many various hoses and connectors. wo yea its new airbox time for sure i most definitly had it fitting but no longer.
, ps. the car is now running sorta , the motor mount has been replaced and im driving it as is till i can afford all the parts listed above,
well, sounds like popcorn or ricecrispies under the hood now so much banging and bumping, but whats a person to do, i have a 120 mile per commute 5 days a week and this is my daily driver/only car, theres a lesson to be learned here somewhere i just know it..........

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Wow. It seems like there's alot of motor mount breakings going on. Kinda makes me worried too... But look at all the crappy OE stuff you'll get to replace with good performance aftermarket stuff.
It's just me but if I'd have to replace my airbox, I'd definately go with either the FS or Volant, unless you're partial to AEM and have the extra dough. Maybe you can go into the classifieds and find someone who bought an aftermarket willing to sell you their old airbox, I'm sure there are plenty of them lying around.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so should i just buy a volant and call it a day ?

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
It is my personal opinion that I would, do a search for the volant and see what experiences other people have had with the product. I personally have never heard anything bad and I bet you could easily modify the bottom for an SVT snorkel, though you might want to post/search for that too. I still use the stock airbox, but that's mainly a move out of money and not desire. My speeding ticket took away my savings for a volant.

Edit: If you have any questinons you might want to call Tony D at NewEdgePerformance, he is very knowledgeable about many focus parts, and carries the AEM, Focus Sport, and Volant intakes. NewEdgePerformance-Air Intakes

[ 10-28-2002, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: RainyZX3 ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts