1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
turbo it

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
What are your goals for the car? We need to know this before offering any help or we'll just spread chicken guts on the hood and then dance madly around your car in our underwear shouting loudly in the hope that it fixes it.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I would say do a search...but since you asked...

If you want 200-250 HP then a turbo or supercharger well do. Superchargers are great for that power range mostly intercooled/aftercooled ones such as the Powerworks, Vortech, FocusSport, or Procharger superchargers. As for turbos the Rousch and Focus-Power set ups seem to do fine but many Focus owners do DIY turbo kits just fine.

If you're looking for 250+ the easy way though a turbo is the way to go. Its possible to get 250 whp with a supercharger but it just seem to be much more work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i would go for a ride if i knew someone that had all that....nobody around here has that kind of stuff...there maybe one or two...but i dont know them....its Aurora Nebraska....there aint sh*t here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
REDFOCZ said:
What are your goals for the car? We need to know this before offering any help or we'll just spread chicken guts on the hood and then dance madly around your car in our underwear shouting loudly in the hope that it fixes it.
goals for the car is as much base hp i can get...wit it still being street legal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hitokiri said:
I would say do a search...but since you asked...

If you want 200-250 HP then a turbo or supercharger well do. Superchargers are great for that power range mostly intercooled/aftercooled ones such as the Powerworks, Vortech, FocusSport, or Procharger superchargers. As for turbos the Rousch and Focus-Power set ups seem to do fine but many Focus owners do DIY turbo kits just fine.

If you're looking for 250+ the easy way though a turbo is the way to go. Its possible to get 250 whp with a supercharger but it just seem to be much more work.
i dont get why supercharger wouldnt be able to handle 250 + hp......plus i was planning on doing powerworks supercharger kit wit intercooler....performance header....performance head wit cams....msd ignition.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Superchargers can get 250+ hp but it seems easier to go with a turbo setup.

1. Boost can be easily adjusted by a boost controller rather than changing out the pulley. You can have low-medium boost for the street and high boost for the track.

2. You don't have to worry about belt slipping issues (which can be very frustrating).

3. Less parasitic loss resulting in more torque

4. You don't have to worry about over-spinning the supercharger but you may need to worry about boost spikes and creeps.

5. Cheaper to upgrade. Just swap out your turbo for a bigger one.

6. More cooling options with the turbo. Cent blowers don't really like too much intercooler piping and roots blowers are limited in their cooling options.

There are probably some more pros & cons but I can't think of any more right now.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
well the reason why it's harder to get 250whp off a supercharger is the simple fact that it is belt driven so it takes power to get power. Of course a turbo on the other hand works off of something that is a bi-product of the engine, the exhaust. It's not like it's impossible to get 250whp, I had 290whp, but you do need to get the right combination and it costs a bit more to get higher numbers out of a 4 cyl with a SC then it does with a turbo.

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts
Plus you don't get the TQ from the SC that is available with the turbo

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
maddfocus said:
i dont get why supercharger wouldnt be able to handle 250 + hp......plus i was planning on doing powerworks supercharger kit wit intercooler....performance header....performance head wit cams....msd ignition.
I am putting out 245 fwhp on a PWSC with head, cams, SVT header and Borla exhaust on a 130,000 stock bottom end.

Ray @ McNews said there was more in it at this point but detuned it to make sure the bottom end would hold together.

I am thinking with a built bottom end and some tweeking I can get to 280 - 300 fwhp.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts