Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a zx3 and I have done almost all "show" mods and now I am about done and starting to work on the "go." I am sick in tired of these kids in their stock SVT's ridin around here thinking they are hot stuff...revin their engines at me..so I think its about time to add more power. There is NO WAY I can afford forced induction now so I was wondering what bolt on mods can I get to atleast get me the equivalent in power to an SVT? What is an SVT's stock hp compared to a ZX3? Any suggestions on mods that will beat an SVT?

·
Registered
729 Posts
ur lookin to make an additional 40-50 hp or so,,,,how much u lookin at spending??

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
first off do you have a auto or 5spd

I.H.E and some cams they wont touch ya

·
Registered
968 Posts
My GF has a 2001 ZX3 5spd we have been working on. At present it has some of the "show" mods, a cat back exhaust and a CAI with a lil 50hp shot wet nitrous kit. With just those mods alone, a stock SVT has yet to do anything but gawk as we pull away quickly. As far as the HP goes, by Ford ratings, SVT 165 fwhp, ZX3 130 fwhp.

·
Registered
751 Posts
As far as the HP goes, by Ford ratings, SVT 165 fwhp, ZX3 130 fwhp.
Where did you get that info? Fords crank rated HP for the SVTF is 170 and 130 for the Zetec. SVT's dyno about 145fwhp, and zetecs dyno about 105fwhp.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Where did you get that info? Fords crank rated HP for the SVTF is 170 and 130 for the Zetec. SVT's dyno about 145fwhp, and zetecs dyno about 105fwhp.
LOL>..sorry...I am used to dealing with Rear wheel drive vehilces more than the FWD vehicles like the Foci. When I say FWHP I was meaning FLYWHEEL...or at motor....so the post I made is in the same range as your #'s right?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Cmon..there has to be more people out there with ZX3's that can beat stock SVT's. What bolt on's do you guys got?
The best part about my gf's focus is that it is TOTAL sleeper. Still has stock rims, but yoko tires, the exhaust is quiet at idle due to the Deltaflow Import Flowmaster and small chrome tip (no howitzer fart pipes here), the CAI is under the front fascia as manufactured to be, but I have also fabricated a sheet metal piece for under it to keep large debris from spiking the filter and in the process it quiets it down until you get really heavy on the loud pedal. As far as the juice goes, its ALLLL hidden. The bottle comes out and is stored safely away until the weekends, and the line is tucked away in the spare tire well. The kit itself is completely hidden in the front fender up in the fender above the gravel shields, and the purge is done through the motor, so no "show of squirts" to be seen above the windshield. Thats why the catch phrase for my company is "Discreet Performance" I hide it all as well as I can, if I cant hide it and it work correctly, I paint it to match the surroundings, then mount it so as to be usable, yet stealth as possible.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Sorry, I thought I had put that in my info, I will have to change it in my profile. I am located in Suwanee, GA (North of Atlanta about 30 miles). Small business, myself and my gf, with other techs on call if I need them. I have several companies I deal with including K40 and Coast High Performance/Probe Industries. I keep it small, that way the quality is better, no rush to complete, no overhead means I can keep my prices cheaper than the other guys around here, I can charge less for labor and still be paid for my time. My quote to protential customers "I am not a rape artist, you wanna pay them $225 a hour for 3 hours when it only takes them one hour and then 2 hours joyriding in your car?"
Website host lost server due to weather issues last week, he is hoping to have it back up by next weekend. When its back up I will post the addy on my sig.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright, back to my post now...
What bolt ons will give me the same whp as a stock svt? I am more concerned with low end hp and acceleration. Right now I have an OBX short ram intake, ported stock tb, and contemplating buyin the FC pulley kit from modern performance. Looks like the cheapest price around that I've seen. How far am I away from gettin a jump on an SVT? Anybody....

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Still a decent way away.
The SVT IS a bit heavier, so that Helps offset those #'s just a tick, but you'll probably at LEAST have to add one of the Early 2000 Intake manifolds, Race-header, chip, cam-gears w/ Dyno-Tune, and potentially heads or headwork.
You see my Sig, and I'm making about 118WHP, 130 ftlbs of Torque.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow...I dont really know that much about performance and what not yet, but it seems like to me all that should give you more than 20-25 whp. I guess I was wrong...sounds like I do have a ways to go
...Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
you need to jump them, between b'g a lil lighter, good tq #s, and their LONG 1st gear, if you get out on them, they cant run you down. they'll trap higher and will be closin on you in the 2nd 1/8th (particularily from 1000' on), but if you get a gap, you can hold it. just watch my vids.

heck at last fall's svt day (dont have vids up anymore), i had taken most of my mods off at the time. i had only a k+n (ghetto intake), fs flex and bosal. thats it. no cams sprockets, no tune nothin. i'd run 15.8s all day on that slow track (no drag radials either). only 2 svt's beat those times (15.66 and 15.71), and they could only do it once each (you know that 1 'ringer' run). otherwise i beat all dozen or so of them out there. had guys comin left and right askin me to run their car to get it into the 15s (i dont do that though), wantin tips, launch tactics, advice here and there, blah blah blah.

-Ult

-Ult

·
Registered
122 Posts
Check out my list of mods below. That is what you will need
to brake away from the svt. I have raced three the one had a cai and the other two I think where stock. the one with the intake kept the nose of his car at my door but that was because off the line it was slick on my side and I launched at 3k and it just spun right to 7k and I had to back out of the throttle. If it wasnt for that I would wooped him good

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ult- I have actually NEVER raced my car before and I dont really plan on until I get more money into it. But right now I would rather work my way towards being able to beat SVTs. Oh believe me...I get lots of people pulling up to me revin their engines up at a light, but nothing makes me pissed more than some little stock car, especially a bone stock SVT not givin me any respect for the thousands of dollars Ive put into my car already. Just knowing that the next time an SVT pulls up to me and revs it up...I could just say lets take it to the track, cuz I know I would whoop him, is pretty much what Im goin for. So to answer your statement Ult...naw man...Im keepin it real.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts